A 10-month-old girl, her father (22) and his younger brothers aged 10 and 12 died in a terrible fire in the Bronx
Three brothers and a baby from the Bronx died in a terrifying inferno after a fire broke out in a two-story house on Sunday – as witnesses said they saw ‘little hands’ from an upstairs window.
The victims of the horrific fire at 2165 Quimby Ave have been identified as Ahmed Saleh, 22, his 10-month-old daughter Barah Saleh, Kalheed Waleed Ban Saleh, 10, and Mohamed Waleed Ahmed, 12.
Firefighters arrived on the scene minutes after the flames spread rapidly around 6 a.m. and tried to save the children, whose screams echoed throughout the neighborhood.
‘You could see their little hands banging on the windows,’ tearful resident Merlyn Persaue, 60, told New York Postand added: ‘I see hands on the windows and then the flames wash over the windows and then there was no sound.’
The two boys were pronounced dead at the scene, while Ahmed Saleh and his daughter died at a local hospital.
About eight family members have lived in the house for almost five years, according to a neighbor.
The victims of the horrific fire on Quimby Ave have been identified as Ahmed Saleh, 22, his 10-month-old daughter, Barah Saleh, Kalheed Waleed Ban Saleh, 10, and Mohamed Waleed Ahmed, 12. Pictured: Three brothers
Barah Saleh, 10 months old, also died in the fire. Firefighters were able to save the baby’s 21-year-old mother
Firefighters were seen at the scene after putting out a fire at 2165 Quimby Ave on Sunday
Firefighters managed to save the baby’s mother (21) and a 41-year-old man.
The mother of the 10-month-old child heard the screams of the children as she helped some people to escape.
‘Last night our family slept over and my sister was trying to help her children escape,’ said the 21-year-old’s brother New York Daily News.
‘She got some people out of the house but when she got back inside the house was engulfed in flames and the windows were broken.’
A neighbor who lives next door rescued the mother of three brothers and her other son before the flames could spread.
‘[The] a woman and a little boy were banging on my window. They were screaming, crying, and black smoke was coming out behind them,’ said neighbor Imlaque Chowdhury.
‘I opened the window, grabbed them both and pulled them inside. What else could I have done? One of those kids playing with my niece. I looked outside and saw a man running around. I thought everyone was out. I could have come down, I could have helped. I could have done more. But I didn’t know. I thought they were all out.’
Cries in Arabic that translates to ‘Help me, God! Help me, God,’ could be heard coming from the burning house, one neighbor said, before officers rushed to the scene.
Firefighters were seen at a home in the Bronx on Sunday morning
Officials can be seen loading an ambulance outside the home
Emergency services were able to pull a 21-year-old woman and a 41-year-old man out of the burning building
The three men ran up the stairs to try to break down the door, trying to save the family until the end. The brothers’ father tried to break down the door with a hammer.
Fire officials saw flames pouring out the home’s windows and heard horrifying screams when they arrived.
‘When I come out, I see the fire, I see this man just panicking, just screaming for his family. He said ‘my children, my children are all up, help!'” said neighbor Carla Cornielle NBC 4 New York.
Emergency services were able to pull a 21-year-old woman and a 41-year-old man out of the burning building. They are in critical condition and are being treated at NYC Health + Hospitals Jacobi.
The family members were from the Yemeni community. Religious leaders were seen leaving candles in memory of those killed in Sunday’s fire.
The city hall promises to help the family with funeral arrangements.
‘We had a small extension to the building next to the firehouse. We have several injuries to firefighters, minor in nature,’ said Assistant Chief Kevin Brennan.
A team of more than 100 firefighters and emergency services managed to get it under control shortly before 8 a.m., and extinguished it not long after.
Mayor Eric Adams toured the remains of the home and vowed to help the community recover while standing with the father of three. The mayor himself survived two fires in his house.
“He lost his children and it’s extremely painful,” Adams said. ‘We will be here to make sure we can help with any funerals and any support they need at this time.’
File photo: Mayor Eric Adams toured the remains of the home and pledged to help the community recover. He is pictured announcing himself in New York last week
A neighbor’s house was also damaged in the fire, and a man was seen gathering his possessions before going to a relative.
“We have fires almost every week in this borough, and certainly one fire is one too many,” said Bronx Mayor Vanessa Gibson. A fire in an apartment building in the Bronx in January killed 17 people.
“We have to learn from many other painful lessons of the past, about having working smoke detectors. October is fire safety awareness month, but it has to be every month.’
The cause of the fire is still under investigation. Inspector Keiyon S. Ramsey, commander of the 43rd Precinct, said in an interview with The New York Times that it is not expected to be criminal.
#10monthold #girl #father #younger #brothers #aged #died #terrible #fire #Bronx