Headlines

Ad giant IPG advises brands to pause spending on Twitter

Ad giant IPG advises brands to pause spending on Twitter

The Twitter logo is seen on a mobile device in this stock photo illustration in Warsaw, Poland, Oct. 30, 2022. Twitter is losing its most active users, according to a Reuters survey. Despite the fact that the most influential tweeters make up only 10 percent of monthly users, they are collectively responsible for 90 percent of all tweets and about half of the company’s revenue.

STR | Nurphoto | Getty Images

Advertising giant Interpublic Group recommended that its agency clients IPG Media Brands suspend all paid advertising on Twitter for at least a week after Elon Musk’s $44 billion purchase of the social media network.

According to a person familiar with the matter, the company is telling its customers — who can independently choose to advertise on Twitter — to wait for clarification on the social network’s plans for trust and security and to see if Musk can prevent Twitter from becoming, as it has called, “hellscape free for all”.

Some of the agency’s clients include CVS Pharmacy, Nintendo and Unilever. These companies did not immediately respond to requests for comment on the recommendation.

Morning Brew contributor Ryan Barwick first reported the ad giant’s recommendation to IPG Media Brands clients, citing an email sent by MAGNA, a media intelligence company that is part of the group.

MAGNA reportedly advised clients in that email that Twitter was not yet in direct, clear communication with each marketing agency and that “the current situation is unpredictable and chaotic, and bad actors and unsafe behaviors thrive in such an environment.”

On Friday, the car manufacturer GM he told CNBC temporarily suspended advertising on the service “to understand the direction of the platform under their new ownership.”

The user experience on Twitter is already undergoing significant changes just days after Musk’s takeover.

By the time Musk closed the deal on Oct. 28, racist and other hateful tweets began to plague the social network at much higher levels than usual, according to the survey Network Contagion Research Institute and dataminr, as reported by NPR. Bad actors on some other platforms, notably 4Chan, have encouraged fellow users to post and amplify racist epithets and other derogatory insults on Twitter, and the change drove away several famous users and inspired a call from NBA star LeBron James.

Yoel Roth, head of security at Twitter, posted several threads on Twitter discussing how the company is combating this. On Monday, Roth he wrote on Twitter“We’ve made measurable progress, removing more than 1,500 accounts and reducing the number of views of this content to almost zero.”

Last week, Musk wrote that Twitter would “form a content moderation council with very diverse viewpoints” and promised not to make “any major content decisions or reinstatement” before the council meets.

While it has not yet disclosed whether such a panel has been established, Twitter recently restored full functionality to the account of a previously restricted user, Mark Finchem, who is a Republican candidate for Arizona secretary of state.

Finchem personally called for Musk’s help in a tweet, and Musk said in a Twitter response that he was “looking into” the matter. Finchem was featured in 2020 choice denier and an Arizona state legislator. He was a politician harshly criticized for sharing anti-Semitic tropes and memes on Twitter.

Twitter did not respond to a request for comment.





#giant #IPG #advises #brands #pause #spending #Twitter

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button