Man killed on SEPTA’s Broad Street Line, police say

Man killed on SEPTA’s Broad Street Line, police say

A 21-year-old man was fatally shot on SEPTA’s Broad Street Line Monday afternoon in what investigators are calling a targeted attack.

The shooting happened around 2:40 p.m. while the southbound train was stopped at the Fairmount station, according to Philadelphia Homicide Capt. Jason Smith. The gunman, who police have not identified, timed the shooting to coincide with the stop, Smith said, waiting until he had a clear exit.

He approached the victim and after a “short argument” pulled out a gun and fired, causing the victim to fall to the ground, Smith said. The victim pulled his own gun, Smith said, but it’s unclear if it was able to fire.

As the victim lay prone, the shooter stood over him and continued shooting. He then paused to put the rifle through the victim’s pockets before running away, Smith said. Even in his weakened state, the victim tried to stop the attacker, grabbing his ankle and tripping him.

However, the shooter managed to escape and has not been arrested as of Monday evening.

The victim was taken to Temple University Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 3:03 p.m., police said. A gun that investigators believe belonged to him was found at the scene.

A total of 14 shots were fired at the train as a dozen bystanders sat nearby, Smith said.

“This could have been a lot worse,” he said. “The killer knew what he was going to do.”

Smith said the two men appeared to know each other and the shooting was not a random attack: At one point during the train ride, the gunman stopped to wipe down a fence he had previously touched, in an apparent attempt to remove his fingerprints.

The men boarded the train a few stops apart: the victim got on at Olney and the killer a few minutes later at Susquehanna.

After the shooting, the 16-year-old arrived at Jefferson University Medical Center with a gunshot wound to his arm, but Smith said investigators believe he was a bystander hit by the shooting, not the shooter.

Michelle Smith, a freelance photographer who lives nearby, said she saw the aftermath of the shooting unfold. Dozens of people came off the platform, whispering that there had been a shooting, she said.

Moments later, officers came down to the station and took the victim away, she said. They placed him on a nearby sidewalk and attempted CPR before loading him into an ambulance.

#Man #killed #SEPTAs #Broad #Street #Line #police

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button