Suspect in shooting of 2 Newark police officers in custody

Suspect in shooting of 2 Newark police officers in custody

Investigators searched the Newark apartment building where they thought the suspect in the shooting of two Newark police officers was hiding, only to find the man was nowhere to be found.

Police have identified the wanted man as 30-year-old Kendall Howard of East Orange.

Police say he opened fire on officers around 2 p.m. in Newark at Van Velsor Place and Chancellor Avenue. They were trying to arrest a suspect in a different shooting, CBS2’s Kevin Rincon reported.

The wounded police officers are recovering at the University Hospital.

Police have so far come up empty in their search for the gunman who shot 2 Newark police officers


Officers were called to the apartment building after a resident identified a man connected to last week’s shooting. The officers searched the building, did not find the suspect and started to leave. Then they found him in the parking lot and got into a shootout.

For hours, police from all over, including the FBI and ATF, kept residents locked in their homes.

“It was horrible. At first I thought they were firecrackers, but then, because there were so many, I realized what they were,” said witness Rosalind Reeves.

Newark Mayor Ras Baraka said a resident called police after identifying the shooting suspect seen on a wanted flyer. A few minutes later, officers were combing the apartment building. When they were leaving, they found the suspect in the parking lot.

“The gentleman pulled out a gun, shot two officers at close range. He returned fire, returned fire. The gentleman retreated back into the building,” Baraka said.

This is what caused the massive response. Officers on the ground, even on rooftops, kept their eyes peeled for the gunman.

The police officers were rushed to the hospital.

“One was shot through the face in the shoulder. He was in the hospital, in surgery. He’s in stable condition. They’re keeping him overnight. The other officer was shot in the leg. He’s also in the hospital in stable condition,” said Newark Public Safety Director Fritz Fragé.

The suspect then ran inside, but after nearly eight hours of searching, police came up empty-handed.

“The perpetrator is not in the building. There is currently an active warrant for the perpetrator who is currently outside,” Fragé said.

“This remains an active investigation. We are seeking the public’s cooperation and participation in helping to identify and locate Mr. Howard. But thanks to our federal partners and our state, county and local partnerships, I am confident that all the necessary resources have been deployed,” said Attorney General Matthew Platkin .

Meanwhile, many who have watched their neighborhood turn into a crime scene are upset.

“How do they expect people and their children to be safe here after that? And he’s still at large?” one man asked. “If all of them can’t do it, someone else could.”

“I’ve been standing here since 3:15 p.m. I’m angry and it’s sad that things like this are happening in this neighborhood,” said building resident Victoria Emeghara-Owoo.

#Suspect #shooting #Newark #police #officers #custody

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button