Trump is asking the Supreme Court to block House Democrats from obtaining tax returns
Former President Trump filed an emergency petition on Monday asking the Supreme Court temporarily block the House committee from receiving his tax returns.
Big picture: Trump has been fighting for years to block the release of his tax returns to the House Ways and Means Committee.
- His request comes after a federal appeals court last week denied the former president’s request to block the release of his tax returns, CNN reports.
Driving news: “This case raises important questions about the separation of powers that will affect any future president,” Trump said submission.
- The filing claims that the House committee is seeking his tax returns solely for the purpose of “releasing the president’s tax information to the public.”
- “The Committee’s purpose in seeking President Trump’s tax returns has nothing to do with funding or personnel matters in the [Internal Revenue Service]”, according to the filing.
- “No Congress has ever used its legislative authority to require the president to file tax returns,” Trump’s team wrote.
- Trump asked the court to “grant an administrative stay” on the tax returns until Wednesday “and then delay the issuance of the mandate pending the filing and disposition of the petition for writ of certiorari,” according to the filing.
#Trump #Supreme #Court #block #House #Democrats #obtaining #tax #returns